Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Wednesday, January 21, 12:30 PM

Unfortunately, a great day for Jonathan yesterday seemed to turn off like a light switch around the 5:00 hour. He retreated to what we had been witnessing for the past few 3-4 weeks, not really himself, in a haze and increasingly restless. Last night was more of that. I stayed with him last night and was so excited to rush over there after work to see Jonathan in all his glory, only to be a little disappointed to find him in the state I left him the day before. At the particular time I walked in he was agitated beyond what I had seen recently. He was afraid and seemed to be crying. My mom was trying to comfort and calm him, but nothing was working. So, I gave it a whirl and after about 30 minutes he calmed down and was just completely a sweetheart - every 2 seconds telling me and mom that he loved us and asking for hugs. Mom left around 7ish and he and I just sat and chatted. It wasn't full conversations, just mostly telling each other how much we loved each other. I told him things like I was proud of the person he is and that I don't tell him often enough how much I love and appreciate him. He repeated the same sentiments to me and apologized for not being there like he thinks he should. It was 3 hours of very simple "conversation" - really just exchanging of sentiments and trying to jog his memory of certain childhood events. Most of them he did remember. . . he got a sleep aid around 10 and started drifting off around 10:20. He fell asleep with both of his arms wrapped around mine lying on his chest. There was no way for me to get up :) Of course I didn't mind. So, I sat there thanking God he was still here, asking for healing and for God to reveal himself to Jonathan. Around 11 he woke up in agony - his right knee in a lot of pain. Warm compresses helped, but ultimately they gave him his pain meds early and that gave him some sleep around 12:30. He slept from then until around 3 when again he woke up frantically. I stayed by/in his bed until 5 when he finally dozed off again for another 2 hours. This morning was a difficult morning. The staff started getting him ready for physical therapy long before any of his pain meds or feeding was given to him. It threw him completely off and the panic was there once again. I left as he was being wheeled down to physical therapy not excited as he normally is, but very anxious and a little frightened it seemed.

I can't tell you why he's retreated back nor can the nurses. The only explanation is that he will have good days and he will have bad days. We are believing that the good will far out weigh the bad. The only way I can seem to explain this whole situation is that God knew Dad and mom needed a glimpse that Jonathan will be OK. They needed to see that He will be made whole in his mind and come back to the Jonathan that we all know, love and miss. I believe God gave them a glimpse of that yesterday, a necessity for them during this trying time. Possibly, He did that to give them hope, but only allowed a glimpse as it's not time just yet for the full reveal. I don't know. None of us do, but even though it seems today that we've taken a step back. Even though dad's frustrated and we're left with many questions - we know that we will see that Jonathan again and soon I believe. It may just be more of a process. God may not be yet doing what He planned all along to do. So, through our frustration and questions - we trust and we praise God. For even that small glimpse is reason to praise!!

5 comments:

BOB AND MAXINE said...

GOD DID NOT BRING JONATHAN THIS FAR, JUST TO GO BACKWARDS. I FEEL WITH ALL MY HEART THAT JONATHAN WILL GET THROUGH ALL OF THIS AND WILL BE EVEN BETTER THAN HE WAS BEFORE THIS HORRIFIC ACCIDENT. IT IS GOD'S MERCY & GRACE AND THOUSANDS OF PRAYERS THAT HAS BROUGHT HIM TO THE POINT HE IS NOW. YOU CAN CERTAINLY SEE, HE IS A FIGHTER. OUR GOD IS A GOD OF MIRACLES. NO ONE CAN UNDERSTAND WHAT JONATHAN AND YOU ALL ARE GOING THROUGH UNLESS THEY HAVE BEEN THERE THEMSELVES. I KNOW YOU ALL ARE MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY EXHAUSTED. BUT YOU PRESS ON BECAUSE OF THE LOVE YOU HAVE FOR JONATHAN. AND THE FAITH YOU HAVE FOR OUR LORD AND SAVIOR, JESUS CHRIST. YOU ALL ARE RIGHT WHERE YOU NEED TO BE. I KNOW JONATHAN FEELS THAT LOVE. ONE DAY HE WILL THANK YOU FOR YOUR DEDICATION AND LOVE AS YOU GO "THROUGH" THIS EXPERIENCE IN HIS LIFE WITH HIM. THAT IS WHAT FAMILY IS ALL ABOUT. BEING THERE FOR EACH OTHER. LOVING EACH OTHER. STAYING CLOSE. IT IS ALSO ABOUT SACRIFICE. DON'T LET THE ENEMY COME IN AND TELL YOU LIES. KEEP THE FAITH. GOD IS A LOVING GOD. A HEALING GOD. HE AIN'T DONE YET!!! LUV YA, UNCLE BOB & AUNT MAXINE

Paula said...

Know that we are still praying for you and Jonathan. know that the Kind Heavenly Father is in the midst of this even though he may seem far away at times. Know that you all will be wiser, stronger, and more in love with the master at the end of this trial. With great love and care we pray Love Rich & Paul

jlanclos said...

I know you don't know me. My name is Jill and I go to church with your sister Rachel. I know you probably know a lot of people are praying for you guys. I just wanted to let you know that I have been reading this blog and keeping up with your updates. Even though I never met Jonathan I feel God has placed it on my heart to check this blog every day and pray for him and all of you. Please know that all of us from The Crossing Place Fellowship are lifting your whole family up in prayer. Your sister Rachel and her husband Bryon are such a blessing to have here. I don't know exactly what you are going through. But I have been at the beside of two dear friends you have battled cancer. I know how exhausted you guys must be. I believe God will restore everything back to Jonathan. It will just be a process. Hang in there.

Jill Lanclos

Unknown said...

continuing in prayer for Jonathan and for your family. Thank you so much for all the updates. Yes I believe Christ is restoring his mental ability right now as we speak. What a mighty God we serve.

Gary Sapp said...

Dee and I will continue to pray for Jonathan. We will also pray for each of the family for strength physically, and spiritually. Thanks for being so loyal with the updates.
Tell your mom and dad we love you all.
Gary and Dee Sapp
Louisiana

Rescue


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones